I was doing some consultancy work for a client today and had to integrate with an IDP to secure an API. Somehow however, the access tokens provided by the IDP couldn’t be validated. For access token validation I by default use IdentityServer’s AccessTokenValidation middleware as it adds some nifty features to MS’s JWT Bearer Authentication middleware. In this case the IDP wasn’t IdentityServer, but as the middleware essentially wraps MS’s JWT middleware it should work – I’ve successfully integrated with various IDPs in the past, using IdentityServer’s AccessTokenValidation middleware to validate the access tokens.
No such luck this time – at least at first sight. For reference, I tried this with both the IdentityServer3.AccessTokenValidation & IdentityServer4.AccessTokenValidation middleware versions – both seemed to fail.
My main issue was that I couldn’t identify the exact problem that was causing the validation failure. I didn’t see anything being written to the console output window, so I was completely in the dark.
The middleware uses Katana’s logging infrastructure – yet by default, this isn’t turned on if you start a new project. To fix it, I added the following few lines to my web config:
<system.diagnostics> <trace autoflush="true" /> <switches> <add name="Microsoft.Owin" value="Verbose" /> </switches> </system.diagnostics>
This configures the built-in Microsoft.Owin switch, setting it at level Verbose. Et voila – I could see the exact cause of the issue in my console output window. In case you ever find yourself struggling with token validation issues, enabling logging like this really helps.
By the way, to log to a file, add this underneath <system.diagnostics>:
<sources> <source name="Microsoft.Owin"> <listeners> <add name="OwinKatanaListener" /> </listeners> </source> </sources> <sharedListeners> <add name="OwinKatanaListener" type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener" initializeData="owinkatana.trace.log" traceOutputOptions="DateTime" /> </sharedListeners>
This adds a listener which will write to a file named owinkatana.trace.log.
Oh, and in case you’re curious about what the issue turned out to be: the IDP didn’t include an audience claim in the access token. Even though it’s not required per se, most modern IDPs fill this out and the middleware by default checks if the value(s) match either the required scopes (IdentityServer3 middleware) or ApiName (IdentityServer4 middleware). Turning off audience validation and switching to the “older” scope validation approach solved the issue.